SailNet Community - View Single Post - A boat dream!
Thread: A boat dream!
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007

pjboots is on a distinguished road
A boat dream!

I am looking at buying my first cruising sailboat. My sailing experience so far has been on a 16 foot racing hobie cat which I sailed with a friend for several years. I recently started sailing with a friend who purchased a Cal20; this boat was great fun and has reignited my urge to sail. I know for sure that I want a boat larger than my friends Cal20 that i can enjoy for a few years until I can afford something more elaborate. I am looking at a Us29, 1979. I have been bargaining for a couple of months and the owner has accepted an exceptionaly low offer of 4000. I am told that the owner is looking to get out of moorage. I have the boat scheduled for a sea trial and haul out next week. The boat needs lots of interior work (which I am not too worried about) but I am told the Yanmar deisel was rebuilt last year and only has fifty hours (I have a friend comming with me who is a naval engineer to look at the motor and electricl sytems). Because of the exceptionaly low price I am not going to hire a surveyor but am seeking advice of things to look for. I know that the boat will need a lot of work but I am asking for advice on things that i should look for that would make this a walk away situation? Please I am seeking constructive advice; I want to be able to go for some over night trips this summer. As you can imagine blisters and problems such as these were never an issue on a sixteen foot trailerable hobbie cat. Please post any advice you can offer. Thank-you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook