SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
On the advice of an old boatyard owner, I use talc as a thickener for epoxy to make fairing goop. Balloons makes nice sanding but it stays so runny that it's hard to work overhead or vertically.

Talc/epoxy can be thickened as stiff as you need and it sands better than anything I've ever used. I find there's no need to worry about the talc being hygroscopic as there is so much resin in the mix plus the top coats that any theoretical absorbency isn't a factor.

It's dirt cheap too if you get it from an industrial supplier. I paid $20 for a cement bag of the stuff 10 years ago - I still have lots.
thats what we have been using down here in el salvador...great cheap stuff and is nice to fair....we are using this method outside and to fair the insides of the cabin tops where they meet the deck as they had loose strand oem glass work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook