SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Let's go back to the beginning. This thread is way too long for me to take the time to pull every one of your posts out but I recall that you have been pretty consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
No boat/safety inspection, etc. This is pretty typical. But then we look back to distress/rescues in past rallies such as the NARC, etc. - and you have to wonder...

Is it merely the statistical concentration of this many boats in one rally - and we're simply seeing the standard ratio of distresses to the number of boats? Or is it something else?

Personally, as a dude that has researched off-shore rescues quite a bit, I'm wondering why these kinds of rallies don't require Safety At Sea training like off-shore racing does. Or why don't they at least enforce ISAF rules?
Click 'greater than' symbol for the entire context.

The consistent thread in your commentary is that safety inspections in general and ISAF rules in particular are the minimum appropriate entry criteria.

Jon and I clearly feel differently. Judgment, skill, and experience are more important than 'stuff' on the boat. Unfortunately your vehemence to the contrary doesn't serve others who may come across this thread later well. Now Jon and I are just a couple of guys that sail the bottom paint off many boats. Apparently our combined experience doesn't give you pause to reflect on our counsel. That's fine. We're just a couple of guys who give back as much as we can to the cruising community. Would you like to see correspondence from Hank Schmitt (one of the best skippers I have had the pleasure to sail with) or Evans Starzinger? The article from the Pardeys didn't make an impression?

Enough is enough. It is one thing to disagree on the merits, and discuss on that basis. I fear this one belongs in OT as a religious discussion - the leap of faith that is necessary to reach the conclusion you espouse can go nowhere else.

IGNORE
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook