SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can You Buy Safety?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Can You Buy Safety?

Sure, worrying is important but not enough.

When I was a kid with 12 years, a bit on the athletic side, I had a very basic philosophy in regards being able to do things: Basically I thought that if a guy was able to do it so was I. That went on till the day I almost broke my neck doing a mortal over a gymnastic German table (do this mean something in English?) without touching it. In fact I had done not a complete roll, but one and a half and landed on my head!!!!

Later I learned that yes, probably I was able to do almost anything.....but with lots of training by the middle, sometimes many years of training.... and that live would be to short to learn how to do them all LOL.

It seems that in what regards boating many think in a similar way and because one's boat is the same or bigger, or safer than the boat the guy that just went out with a weather forecast with strong winds, they would be as safe or safer than the other guy because they have a boat that can take car of them and the other guy is an experienced sailor and knows what he is doing.

Most boats are relatively safe if the skipper is an experienced sailor and up to the conditions that he knows it is probable he will find. This kind of good sense regarding an accurate knowledge of each one capacities and the limits in which one is safe to sail with his boat seems to be not so common about boaters. Some think that because some can make it safely with a similar boat then it is safe for them too. Not much difference than that infantile supposition that I could do all things the other kids could do. LOL

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-26-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook