SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Safety Rules?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Safety Rules?

The new electronics requirements seem unreasonable, in the abstract sense. But if you place them in context there have been a number of losses and investigations on the last 2-3 years and a lot of those have pointed at "Who? Where?" communications issues that could have easily been addressed, with lives saved, if these kind of regs had been in place. Is it appropriate to impose that burden for the sake of just a few lives, and the negative press that every death brings to the sport? Dunno.

What struck me more is that the cost of a Safety At Sea Seminar (I was at one of the very early ones when it was a Radical New Concept) has skyrocketed to MORE than the cost of the electronics they're requiring. Considering it used to be...what, $50 or $60 for the two day seminar, and maybe $600-800 for a GPS and VHF? And now the seminar and VHF+GPS are both matched at ~$250 or so?

Culture shock. Like paying $3.63 for a 28 cent gallon of gas. You tell me, which side of that picture is just wrong?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook