SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sydney-Hobart

And as expected Wild Oats won by the 7th time the Sydney-Hobart, a record that would be very hard to mach in the future. In my opinion, not only luck with the light winds but a masterful routing regarding wind and conditions, far better than the one on Loyal. A well deserved victory.

As usual the coverage is miserable and there are now movies, at least yet, to show the arrival, that seems it was at speed.

Regarding the compensated winner the leader is not anymore a slow boat but Chutzpah, a 2007 40ft cruiser-racer designed by Reichel/Pugh. They are 23th overall, a fantastic race for them overtaking with a cruiser-racer the racing ker 40 and being the first 40ft boat.

Regarding the smaller boats that were doing well and that I mentioned on a previous post, the Rodgers 46 is 20th, the Elliot 44Cr 19th, the Ker 46 13th (great race and overtaking a lot of boats on the stronger conditions) the ker 40 31th, the Humphreis 42 26th, the DK 43 33th, the 4 First 45 are now in 39th, 42th, 44th and 60th, being all overtaken by the smaller First 40 Brannew (37th) that is making a great race but as all "heavy" boats is losing distance on these conditions that favors lighter downwind rockets.

On the downwind conditions with stronger winds many smaller light boats overtook the bigger heavier boats (the First 45 for example).

For instance, the Bakewell-White 39 is 40th, the MDB41 is 46th another First 40 is 47th a A40 is 48th, three sydney 38 are 54th, 58th and 65th, the Salona 44 is 60th, another First 40 is 62th.

If you think these are bad results for performance cruisers of this size, think again, most are ahead or in the middle of the brand new clipper 70 racing boats, that I have to say, for a brand new 70ft racing boat, are pretty slow

Edtt: Sorry Pelicano, some repetition here but I did not see your post before posting this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-28-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook