SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWestlake View Post
When I got my first "scoop-type" anchor, I was sailing a MacGregor 26X and I wanted something that would store flat in the anchor locker up in the bow. It was here that I found the Raya Tempest, and I still have that anchor as a back-up on my Bristol 29.9. (The prime anchor is a 25-lb Manson Supreme, bought right during the Rocna crisis. And it does a beautiful job - digs right into the Chesapeake mud.)

But it's just enough anchor for the Bristol, according to the charts that Joćo had on his old Ancora Latina web-site (a 30-foot boat weighing 4.5 tonnes). If I move up to a bigger boat, which I'll do if I choose to Sail Beyond The Sunset, I'm going to want a similar break-down 'scoop' back-up anchor, and nowadays, that means Mantus.

In fact, if I'm not satisfied with the next boat's existing anchor, it's likely to mean a matched pair of Mantus anchors, one assembled on the bowsprit, one disassembled in the bilge.
The Manson Supreme 25 is more than enough anchor for a Bristol 29.9 unless you plan on anchoring in hurricane force winds..

Be aware that "Joćo" was really Alain Poiraud pulling a fast one on every body.. He hid behind this moniker because he had sold Spade, and rumor/word on the street was that he had "taken" some proprietary designs that were supposedly sold with the Spade transaction. So he started a new company and hid himself from it as the real owner instead using Joćo who incidentally wrote and responded nearly word for word verbatim the way Alain did for so many years....

I own one of Alain's Oceanne/Sword anchors plus two Spade's.. I actually caught Alain in his little scam (long story that could create an entire thread) during some email conversations.

Funny enough that Joćo & Raya disappeared at EXACTLY the same time that Alain Poiraud passed away.... Go figure.... I do believe there was a guy named Joćo that worked for him but the email responses and many of the internet postings were that of Alain posing as Joćo.

Alain had a huge hatred for everything Rocna and Manson so take what he said with a grain of salt. Sadly he never could build a better anchor than the Spade, despite multiple attempts. He was a great anchor designer though...

The whole anchor underworld can get pretty sleazy. Just enter www dot ancoralatina dot com (the old web address of Alain's company that made the Raya) into your address bar and see what pops up?????

That's right the minute Alain Poiraud passed away, and his web domain lapsed for a split second, the Smith's of Rocna fame jumped in and picked it up redirecting all Ancora Latina traffic to the Peter Smith / Rocna page.... Peter Smith apparently had no love lost for Alain either so much so that he found it perfectly ethical to pilfer a dead mans web site......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook