SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Cruising or racing

I cannot see well the differences on the hulls on those pictures but for what I can tell Chutzpah has a more forgiving hull for going downwind fast and that is essential on an offshore race with heavy seas: it increases your confidence in the boat and allows you to go faster. Aquila has a hull much more Ker style, one designed to take heel taking all advantage of a big B/D ratio and huge draft, but more tricky to sail downwind, not necessarily slower, even faster in perfect conditions.

You are right regarding Chutzpah since the boat has really a tiny cabin but it is not the hull that defines the difference between a very fast cruiser-racer like the Sydney 43GTS and a top offshore racer but the maximization of factors.

Factors like less weight that are obtained with an almost non existent interior and a bigger draft, space in the cockpit for racing maneuvers with the diminution of the cabin that also has importance in what regards minimum windage and in what regards maneuvers over the cabin.

But one thing is a very fast cruiser racer thought to be sailed with a crew and a good performance cruiser that can be raced but it is also easy to be sailed fast solo. That's here that the different hull designs that are used in racing can make a difference. Some, like the ones used by Ker or Mills, mostly for crewed racing don't give forgiving sailboats or boats easily exploited solo.

If you can remember it was the only objection that I had made to the new C&C Redline 41: Great as a cruiser-racer but that I doubt it had the characteristics to be very good performance cruiser, meaning that it would not be a boat easy to sail solo or with a reduced crew.

Is in this regard that the French designers normally do better, not meaning that the boats are faster but that are boats more polyvalent, being able to be fast with a crew, fast solo racing or easy enough to cruise with the family, even going fast. That is also to do with the market for whom they work, one where solo or short crew racing has not only a big importance but also a growing one.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook