SailNet Community - View Single Post - intervention councelor(s) needed...
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013

floatingPoint is on a distinguished road
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversailer View Post
Douglas,
You will be fine. First turn your head, rotate your dingy 180 degrees... away from that fine ship built from recycling materials...that will need much care, replacement, even more elbow grease and safety materials to protect you, so many more times..

[snip]

R
Dr Ed
keep it coming... I need to hear this. The big bad maintenance monster who lives under every wooden boat. Here's my level of delusion - I don't really buy it.

Consider exhibit PF (plastic fantastic) and WE (worm eaten).

PF and WE
wenches, running, standing and sails samie-samie

PF and WE
top deck, bright work and hatches samie-samie *

*okay some little PF have absolutely no bright work. Some aren't even finished on the inside of the hull other than hanging bunks. But a lot of boats do come with wooden hatches, seats and soles exactly as the wooden boat.

PF and WE
communication and navigation samie-samie

PF and WE
keel, rudder and bottom samie-samie

If we start with PF and WE new they'd both serve well for many years. As a class many fiberglass boats rely on their wooden cores for strength and to alleviate flex wear issues. To serve as mount points for power plants and provide backing for wenches. So most PF aren't free from wood deteriorating. Sure - there's a lot more of it in the WE. On the other hand you can get the wood on WE to dry out if it becomes water logged, but the stuff sealed up in fiberglass has to be cut out. I'm thinking this is a toss up - one particular WE might have a lot less rot expense than a particular PF.

And fiberglass fades. Now the WE can be (yea, alright must be) painted with a brush. Again every boat is different but in time the fiberglass develops cracks in the rounded corners, at flex locations etc. That is tedious and expensive to repair and the WE doesn't have any of these worries.

Eventually the wooden yacht will need to be pulled, partially disassembled (deck removed) and the inside of the hull attended to (maybe no more than repaint ). The plastic yacht doesn't have this step - but they also have the periodic major refit which covers a lot of the work you'd do on the wooden yacht.

Wood is a living thing even though you have to kill a tree to get wood. The wood will move with the weather and seasons. That works against water tight joints. So there will always be more in the bilge of the wooden yacht (at least in the size I'm talking about). Now for me, the little stream of water coming down around the mast isn't a thing. I'm probably a lot wetter out in the cockpit.

The thing is I'm not looking at a new wooden boat. They still make those you know. I think a lot of the bad rap that wood has gotten is from old boats (exactly like the one I'm looking at) which need a complete redo and someone tries to do this either without the skills, or the money, or the shop. When there are 80 year old pastic boats out there (and it won't be that long now) things might look different.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook