SailNet Community - View Single Post - intervention councelor(s) needed...
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

I owned a herreshof h28 ketch I refit and "restored" and bought in alameda california...it had rot in the stuffing box plank and that was it...it leaked bad....as soon as that was fixed I had one of the most regarded heavy duty and sweet sailing wooden boats of all time

it was double diagonal planked teak on bronze screws and oak frames...one of the strongest combos

I varnised and sanded and did all work myself including recaulking decks, I also resealed the planks when needed etc...I popped a garboard strake when I tightened the rigging too much but I was only 19 at the time

sealed that up and loosey goosey and all was good

it came with a new yanmar inboard and I bought it for $2000, back in 99! ja!

I could sail that boat blindfolded I knew it so well

it was stronger and better built than most glass or steel boats I knew...but it was small, cramped...damp and wet and smelled like and old fart...

yet the decks were always cool...I could climb into the boat from the water with one hand cause it had like 12 inches of freeboard in the stern and it tracked like a train, and hove to like no other

it could also sail downwind with main only in 35 knots do 9 knots like a mack truck and feel safe

everything has its pros and cons though

so take that for what its worth

not all wooden boats are created equal and the same goes for any material boat you chose

avoid hearsay and research the boats you are looking at intensly, Im glad to offer any insight or help if I can

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
floatingPoint (12-29-2013)