SailNet Community - View Single Post - intervention councelor(s) needed...
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Seriously, intervention?
OK, here goes. I've sailed on and operated a great many wooden vessels over the last 50+ years and I love them, each and every one.
The oldest I've sailed on was built in 1886, the oldest I've operated professionally was built in 1906 and the oldest I've owned was built in 1909 and she brought me to a safe harbor after 5 days in a SoPac hurricane at 65 years old.
You can't ignore things like annual haul outs on a wooden boat; there are creatures that eat the wood if the antifouling isn't working (or gets dinged by something you hit, but isn't even big enough you know you hit it), and even if the paint is fine, they can get through the seam compound and then into the wood. There are frames, ribs, ceiling, planking, floor timbers and butt blocks (just to name a few), all subject to rot, which is in many cases invisible, without dismantling the vessel from outside (removing planks). Wooden boats work and hog and they change shape if the rig is too tight or loose, sometimes causing problems that can cost many times the value of the boat, to repair.
Even a newer wooden boat can develop serious problems. Ask the crew on vessels like the Spirit of South Carolina and Virginia, just to name two.
Whatever fastening was used to attach the planking to the ribs can corrode, have electrolysis or just plain rust. You can spring a plank while sailing, opening a huge hole in your boat, but have no notice in advance that it might go. The seams need to be caulked periodically and I'm guessing it's pretty expensive to get it done these days, as it's a dying art (this I know for a fact, but that's a story for another post). If you get caught in heavy weather, a wooden boat, even a well caulked one, can spit out her caulking and begin to leak pretty seriously (another story).
I could go on, but perhaps this much has made that intervention successful.
Again, I love wooden boats; the feel, sea kindliness and warmth cannot be beat. But owning a wooden boat today, especially a classic, is for the very rich, and not a sailor's pastime; it's a career.

Last edited by capta; 12-28-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
floatingPoint (12-29-2013)