SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wow... Bernard Stamm's Open 60 "breaks in half" in the Western Approaches...
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Wow... Bernard Stamm's Open 60 "breaks in half" in the Western Approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Yup, I'd happily take my chances with Bernard Stamm on his Open 60 in a winter storm in the Bay of Biscay, rather than with some comparatively geriatric Salty Dawgs of undetermined pedigree on a 30+ year old Out Island 41 in the Gulf Stream, during the passage of a strong cold front in November :-)
I wouldn't do EITHER.
So, because YOU wouldn't sail an OI 41 offshore to the Caribbean, does that mean that anyone who chooses to do so should be held responsible for reimbursing for the cost of their (potential) rescue?

What other boats would you add to your list? :-)

Seems like another slope that gets awfully slippery, awfully quickly, to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Oh, and a P.S. - I've never heard of an old OI 41 breaking in half in the Gulf Stream, November cold front or no.
Well, stick one in the middle of a Biscay winter storm, who knows? :-) The reports were that the bulkheads on that OI were "delaminating", and they were taking on water... Wanna take a guess on how much difficulty Bernard Stamm might have had out where they were that night? Mine would be that he might have considered it "fantastic sailing, with no need for the 'handbrake', yet..." :-)

Stamm has twice won RTW races, the Around Alone and Velux 5 Oceans, back to back... His record the Transatlantic record for monohulls stood for TEN YEARS. The guy is clearly one of the most accomplished solo sailors, ever...

The accomplishments of sailors like Slocum, Dumas, Knox-Johnston seem like far riskier ventures to what guys like Stamm are doing, today... K-J was the ONLY sailor to finish the first Golden Globe, and yet is universally respected for what is generally considered a heroic feat of seamanship, and was ultimately knighted for his accomplishments...

Do you really believe a 300-day go around on a boat like this, 35 years ago, was inherently safer than what today's generation of RTW racers are doing?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook