SailNet Community - View Single Post - intervention councelor(s) needed...
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013

floatingPoint is on a distinguished road
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I owned a herreshof h28 ketch I refit and "restored" and bought in alameda california...it had rot in the stuffing box plank and that was it...it leaked bad....as soon as that was fixed I had one of the most regarded heavy duty and sweet sailing wooden boats of all time
[snip]
avoid hearsay and research the boats you are looking at intensly, Im glad to offer any insight or help if I can

cheers
This is more or less the situation I'd like to recreate for myself. An 8.5m ketch wouldn't necessarily be my thing - but as you mention old and wood does not necessarily mean disproportionately expensive or slow. Not slow if you compare it to other yachts at the same displacement.

Of course a wooden boat can be expensive. I've been around marinas and boats for many decades now and almost every boat I was in, on or around was plastic. My boats have all been plastic - I'm not down on the stuff. But those plastic boats can and do suffer many of the same issues of a wooden boat. I knew a scarab which had to have the whole stern cut off and another built up - soggy marine plywood. A Grady had to have most of the cockpit sole cut out due to balsa rot. I don't think either of the boats represent the norm and I'm not knocking power boats. I'm a certified drop the hammer and go kind of a guy.

I just have a hard time accepting that a recreational wooden boat in the 8m class is necessarily a lot more expense or trouble than the plastic boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook