SailNet Community - View Single Post - intervention councelor(s) needed...
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 12-29-2013 Thread Starter
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I owned a herreshof h28 ketch I refit and "restored" and bought in alameda had rot in the stuffing box plank and that was leaked soon as that was fixed I had one of the most regarded heavy duty and sweet sailing wooden boats of all time
avoid hearsay and research the boats you are looking at intensly, Im glad to offer any insight or help if I can

This is more or less the situation I'd like to recreate for myself. An 8.5m ketch wouldn't necessarily be my thing - but as you mention old and wood does not necessarily mean disproportionately expensive or slow. Not slow if you compare it to other yachts at the same displacement.

Of course a wooden boat can be expensive. I've been around marinas and boats for many decades now and almost every boat I was in, on or around was plastic. My boats have all been plastic - I'm not down on the stuff. But those plastic boats can and do suffer many of the same issues of a wooden boat. I knew a scarab which had to have the whole stern cut off and another built up - soggy marine plywood. A Grady had to have most of the cockpit sole cut out due to balsa rot. I don't think either of the boats represent the norm and I'm not knocking power boats. I'm a certified drop the hammer and go kind of a guy.

I just have a hard time accepting that a recreational wooden boat in the 8m class is necessarily a lot more expense or trouble than the plastic boat.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome