SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Paulo, yes, I have a Raya; what I have is a Raya Tempest 800, a two-piece anchor with a demountable shank. The shank pulls up through a sturdy collar built onto the top of the fluke, and it's held in place by an interference fit. It stored flat in the shallow anchor locker of my MacGregor 26X, Bossa Nova; it assembles with no tools (well, a shackle-wrench to attach the rode), and that shank is not coming out of the fluke short of tearing the fluke apart.

When I got my Bristol 29.9, Halcyon, it came with a 25-lb Delta, a fixed-shank plow that simply didn't hold the first night I spent on the hook in the new boat. I still had the MacGregor, and with it, the Raya - which held perfectly and tenaciously in the same place where the Delta had failed me. If the Raya had fit below my roller-furler drum on my anchor roller, I might be using it now as my primary anchor; as it is, I've stowed it below-decks and I have it ready to use as a back-up to the 25-lb Manson Supreme that replaces the Delta.

I am certainly not going to say "the Raya is best, or better," than other scoop anchors; only that it suited my needs on Bossa Nova, and it suits me as a good backup on Halcyon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook