SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you do? Caught off guard by storm on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: What would you do? Caught off guard by storm on the Chesapeake

Good scenario, and your starting moves are good ones.

Sabreman hit the very first thing that occurred to me: decide and act. Don't second guess yourself. You'll burn up what time you have.

On a small light boat like yours every step on the foredeck really moves the boat. Get up there first and get the genoa down and tied down really hard and tight. Windage is not your friend.

If you have reefs in your main reef it all the way down. Otherwise drop and again lash it very tightly. Windage is bad.

Call USCG Station Annapolis and tell them where you are, what you plan is, and ask for a radio schedule.

Usually I try to get as far from shore as possible. On your boat in the location you cite I'd consider two-and-a-half things. All get close to the windward shore so if something bad happens you have a good bit of time to respond before Kent Island shows up and if everything goes well you get protection of the shoreline. 1. As rgscpat suggested see if you can get into Fishing Creek (home to USCG Stn Ann BTW) and anchor somewhere between G5 and R6. If there isn't time, 2. head up into the corner between Tolly Point and Bay Ridge and anchor off the beach either North or South of the breakwaters. 2-1/2 is to beach the boat on Bay Ridge Beach if your tackle doesn't hold.

With the gear you describe and as long as you are confident in your knots I'd string everything together and hang on your biggest anchor in either Fishing Creek or off the beach.

The answer will be different for every boat, each outfit, and based on the experience and skill of the sailor.

Very good question.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook