SailNet Community - View Single Post - Grease on Propeller for Anti Fouling?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Grease on Propeller for Anti Fouling?

I think he is reffering to the color of the strut...some sort of coating?

in any case...guys dont polish your props...really....

do you own an ofrshore racing catamaran with 1500hp worth of outboards? abdsolutely no gain doing that

in effect polsihing a prop melts the top layer of most materials

when people say machine polished or buffed down here especially on magesium, aluminum and some forms of stainless what happens is the top layer gets soo hot that it melts...this closes it all up which is good for stuff like chainplates

mirror polished is what they call it

indeed a rough porous blade is the perfect PRIMER for a simple sprayed on antifouling or nothing at all

again if you have a boat with an inboard and power cruise a lot you will notice less growth than when you only use your inboard to enter ports...

on all the boats I have had with inboards I never did anything to the prop...yes the strut or a arm etc but never the shaft or prop

why? cause you can unbalance a prop quite severely by globbing on antifouling....

youd be surprised how much vibration can come with heavy paint not just barnacles....jejeje

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook