SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Thirty years ago I had a LoneStar-13 dinghy and hardly ever work a life jacket and often had it tucked in the cubby. Last summer I sailed a 12 foot Paceship and wore it all the time. The boat didn't seem as stable or i was not as comfortable and for the first time I capsized in the middle of the lake. The guy with me didn't have his on, but fortunately it was near by.. I say fortunately because even though the boat had positive flotation, when it filled with water we couldn't bail it out.

I think I will wear a jacket all the time now.. To me it is like a seat belt, I might only be in one accident that I needed it... I just can't predict when that will be. On a boat, you never know if the time you go in the water if you are going to crack your head on the way over...

Ironically when I am in a motor boat I don't think of wearing them, of course if there was a lot of heeling I might change my mind.

I ride in a ferry several times a year... I don't wear one then.... but I ALWAYS look for where the life jackets are stored. I would do the same on a cruise ship

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook