SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey say's.......
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013

catchinrays is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey say's.......

We had a very similar experience with our survey. There were things mentioned on the survey that our boat wasn't even equipped with and it seemed the whole survey was originally used on a different boat that he went in and changed as many things as he could to seem like it was of our boat.

For a moment, I thought you must have been speaking of the surveyor we used until I realized that yours wasn't from Fort Lauderdale. We paid $20 per foot that should have included a sea trial. I asked him if we were going to get a price break since there was no sea trial granted, and he said since the boat was in such bad shape, he was going to still charge us the same price because the survey was to be so "extensive".

He assessed the boat in "restorable" condition which should have placed a value of $50,000 to $75,000 but in his assessed value of the boat, he said it was worth $120k. When asked about why he placed it in "restorable" condition but assessed its value at 120k, he said that boat was worth it. Well if its worth 120k, then obviously the condition should have been "fair" seeing as that would have placed it in the correct appraised value.

In the end, the survey wasn't worth the paper it was written on and we should have never hired him to begin with - another one of those "money" lessons that I'm getting tired of learning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook