SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Vendee Globe: Sailor's evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I had another look at an interesting movie about the 2000/2001 edition and what had impressed me more than the evolution of the boats is the evolution of the sailors: Now there seems to be several of them with the same quality that at that time only Michel Desjoyeux seemed to have, I mean the discipline the professionalism the seriousness. At that time, for many the Vendee was more an Adventure than a race.

Not for Desjoyeux then, not for several racers on the last edition from whom the Vendee was just a big race, the biggest of them all.

Have a look at the two movies and see what I mean
That is a bit unfair a comment to all the other competitors...
If you remember - michel had to fight for the win almost until the finish line because he was pushed by ellen mc arthur who lost out by a day eventually only because she hit a container in the north atlantic and had to do repairs...
And at the cape hoorn she was more than 600 nm behind, she even diverted to come to the aid for palier but still caught up with michel..
Palier was in the lead til he got dismasted and finished non the less with a jury rig...
Vendée Globe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to me only, the overall winner of this edition was ellen mc arthur...

Edit:
I love the boats from that era, because they could get converted easier to a cruiser than the radical designs from today... They had more freeboard, an enclosed cockpit, the hulls were not that focused on reaches having narrower sterns so they should have better windward abilities... If i had the money and could get my hand on one, i definitely would not hesitate and convert it to cruise in fashion and speed...

Last edited by capt vimes; 12-31-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook