SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Vendee Globe: Sailor's evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
That is a bit unfair a comment to all the other competitors...
If you remember - michel had to fight for the win almost until the finish line because he was pushed by ellen mc arthur who lost out by a day eventually only because she hit a container and had to do repairs...
And at the cape hoorn she was more than 600 nm behind, she even diverted to come to the aid for palier but still caught up with michel..
Palier was in the lead til he got dismasted and finished non the less with a jury rig...
Vendée Globe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to me only, the overall winner of this edition was ellen mc arthur...
Maybe you are right but I am talking about the way sailors behave. Ellem Mac Arthur is a strange case, a great sailor and a natural talent, no doubt, but that abandoned racing sailing where she was on her prime. Unheard in what regards professional sailors but an attitude we saw among adventurer sailors, like Lamazou, the first winner of the Vendee Globe, also a great sailor.

I am talking about the attitude: we saw all of them on that old movie mumbling around, some crying (including Ellen), all except Desjoieaux that seems completely focused on winning.

If you look at this year's movies you see that kind of attitude regarding some sailors but the top ones have a similar stance to the one that Desjoieaux had already 15 years ago, a professional racing one focused on max performance and victory.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook