SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dogs on sailboats- long question
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2002

maureena5 is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailboats- long question

Hi All,
Does anyone have a dog on their sailboat. If yes, how did you train the dog get around on the boat? How do you train to go on a patch of artificial turf? What about getting up & down the companionway for a larger dog (golden retreiver)? We had a golden retreiver for 12years (said goodbye to him in November). He was never on the sailboat. He was already seven when we got the boat, and we didn''t attempt to teach an "older dog new tricks". We are considering getting a new golden retreiver puppy in the Spring. We will not commit to another dog unless if fits with our short term, and long term sailing plans. Having a golden and sailing are our two passions. We are searching for advice on how feasible this might be. I do not want to make a commitment to a new dog in our life if it wouldn''t be fair to the dog. My husband & I have a sailboat on Lake Michigan (34ft C&C). We are also arranging for yacht ownership in the BVI. We plan to use our 6 weeks of sailing for the next five years. After that we plan to cruise for 6 months out of the year. Does anyone have experience in this subject matter? Any thoughts? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook