SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vacuum Sealing Gear and Supplies
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Vacuum Sealing Gear and Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
OK, this "seals" it, I'm getting one.

I've always wanted one for cooking. I've played around with using ziploc bags for easy clean-up cooking. I've put the vegetarian egg scramble in one bag, the meat-and-goodness filled egg scramble in another, and some black beans in a third. They all go in a pot of boiling water. You haven't dirtied any dishes cooking, and you have a pot of clean, hot water to use to wash up the plates and forks and such. Sort of low-rent sous vide cooking.

A vacuum sealer would make that a lot easier, and would eliminate the occasional blow-out of a failed Ziploc. Combined with the idea of vacuum sealing toilet paper and such? Brilliant!
Yea, I don't think zip locks are really meant to take the heat. The vacuum bags have a very different material, stiffer and stronger. The bags are quite expensive but can be reused for dry goods, just keep making the bag smaller each time. I hate going into Wall-Mart but they seem to have the cheapest supplies. And for some reason wholesale clubs have good deals on the machines with large collections of bags. The wide mouth jar adapter is good if you happen to have canning jars around.

They show people using it to compress sweaters and what not, but the bags are quite expensive for that. I recently saw a collection of plastic containers that had a manual vacuum pump to pull out the air from that and looked reasonably low cost may have to try them(Zevro brand). I have also used the wine corks for years, but rarely don't finish a bottle I open, so don't even know where that system is!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook