SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galvanic Isolator
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013

wmjr is on a distinguished road
Galvanic Isolator

I am going to install a galvanic isolator on my 31 Pacific Seacraft. I have read (Maine Sail) that the best place to connect to the AC ground is very close to the shore power inlet. That could make a short run to the isolator since I would install it in the locker aft of the head.

Unfortunately I am having a very difficult time finding access to the the AC connector inside the boat. It looks like it should be easily accessed on the starboard side in the head. Not so.

If there is no access I will have to connect the new portion of the AC ground wire to the existing ground wire at the panel, run 10 feet aft (right back past the hidden AC power inlet ( a few feet from where I want to install the Galvanic Isolator), connect to the new isolator and then run the ground wire right back past the hidden shore power inlet to the panel to complete the connection to the AC ground at the panel.

That makes a total run of 25 or 30 feet going forward, back and forward again instead of a 5 or 6 foot detour loop to the new GI and back.

Has anyone seen an access to the AC shore power inside the boat on a 31? Anyone else installed a galvanic isolator somewhere else?

John
PSC 31 #28
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook