SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intro and Advice Sought
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Actually, the camera, both still and video, tend to flatten the seas a bit.

At the beginning of the video it is about 5–7' seas with 20 knots of wind and gusts up to about 28 knots. Near the end of the video it was probably 6-8' seas with 25 knots of wind and gusts up to about 35 knots... by the end of the afternoon, there were the occasional 9-12' seas with 28 knots and gusts past 35 knots. When the hat was lost, the boat was doing about 12 knots.
Thanks. I could tell from the mic sound that the wind was blowing, but sound on a boat can be deceiving. All in all, I am glad I underestimated the conditions by 10-20%, because people tend to overestimate, don't they? You're right about the foreshortening effect of the lens, however. Those are near-perfect conditions for my taste...at least the 25 knots and 7 feet of seas...really gets the boat going without things getting too dangerous on a well-found boat. You can get into a groove of the occasional wake-up splash and in some conditions at that speed I've briefly surfed...which my older boat won't do normally.

Strangely, I frequently find myself with little company in those conditions on my 33 footer. Cruisers of the weekender variety find those waves upset the cracker tray, and racers will go out in far worse, but not if it's not race night!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook