SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intro and Advice Sought
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
Thanks. I could tell from the mic sound that the wind was blowing, but sound on a boat can be deceiving. All in all, I am glad I underestimated the conditions by 10-20%, because people tend to overestimate, don't they? You're right about the foreshortening effect of the lens, however. Those are near-perfect conditions for my taste...at least the 25 knots and 7 feet of seas...really gets the boat going without things getting too dangerous on a well-found boat. You can get into a groove of the occasional wake-up splash and in some conditions at that speed I've briefly surfed...which my older boat won't do normally.

Strangely, I frequently find myself with little company in those conditions on my 33 footer. Cruisers of the weekender variety find those waves upset the cracker tray, and racers will go out in far worse, but not if it's not race night!
I agree that those were near perfect conditions in my tastes for sailing too. As you can see, we were pretty comfy in those conditions... no one felt the need to wear either a PFD or safety harness... it wasn't until we started the upwind beat that we all got in to our foulies... the upwind beat was brutally wet... Mind you, if I were singlehanding in those same conditions or sailing with a less experienced crew, I would have had everyone in PFDs and with safety harnesses... as I wouldn't like to try a MOB in those conditions, with a boat moving at 12 knots.

One reason I like those conditions so much is that it does tend to keep the power boaters in the marinas... and leaves the bay to the few sailboats willing to brave those conditions. I think we saw a total of four other sailboats that day... The cracker tray was only upset by the up-and-down motion of the boat... the boat was sailing about 5˚ of heel most of the time. Very pleasant...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook