SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Everything about the Rocna came from someone else's designs.
That's what I meant about derivative works. "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." (Isaac Newton) Integrated circuits would not have been invented without the foundational work on transistors.

The Delta anchor design owes something to CQR - it's just better. As you note the Rocna owes a good bit to previous designs including the Bugel. I seem to recall Peter Smith saying as much.

Quote:
Peter Smith himself admitted to borrowing the shank design from a Delta Fast Set and the Spade shape from Alain Poiraud's Spade, hmmm copy....? He stole the hoop from Bügel/Wasi (1997), Rex Francis (1996) or Peter Bruce (US Patent 3,777,695) depending on how far back you want to go...
Sure. That's all within the realm of accepted derivational work. Patent law even provides for limited royalties to the originator in some cases.

Quote:
Let's be realistic here, the Rocna anchor IS ALSO A COPY.
To me it's a derivation. To take the best of previous art and put it together is considered creativity in patent law (as I understand it - IANAL).

Quote:
To give Peter Smith or Craig Smith a pass and blame it all on the Bambury brothers makes me sick to my stomach.. Come on Dave, you can do better..... Craig Smith was right in there with the BLATANT lies and deceit while Peter tried to stay out of the limelight so he could perhaps wipe his hands of it.. As far as I am concerned it was all part of Peter's clever marketing ploy.
A reasonable conclusion, true or not. I'm less sure. A lot depends on just when the material changes happened and who knew what and when. We'll probably never know.

Quote:
Rocna was a tad late in the copying game to call the Manson a "copy"... The two anchors are as widely different in shape angles and design as the Wasi and Sarca are....... They only "look" similar as they do to the Bügel/Wasi, Manson Supreme, Rocna, Mantus etc......
I take you at your word. I have looked at Supremes and Rocnas side-by-side but have not measured the angles or lined the shaft angles up.

So perhaps I should have ethical issues with both Manson and Rocna. *grin*

Now I have to dig out a protractor and tape measure and head for West Marine.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook