SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, I think you're pretty safe on staying off his naughty list. Heh-heh.

I agree though that it's pretty hard to stomach ANYONE defending Rocna in ANY way - especially someone like Ausp who's been around here for a while and had to have seen a lot of this play out.

At the end of the day, as I said, I like what Mantus is doing. I actually thought the holding power test rig was pretty smart. It very clearly illustrated the performance of each anchor in that particular condition. Sure, it wasn't precise, but it was compelling.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some "scientific" testing on holding power for the Mantus vs. the others. I wish the mags would pick this up (per Mantus' requests) and do some testing. There are interested readers out there.

As for the question above regarding what the anchor would do in a big wind shift...doesn't that come down again to setting ability? In other words, if you get a 180 degree shift and the anchor twists out, it's the ability to quickly set again that is the primary factor?

If so, Mantus seems to be a very good choice. I don't know, I'm just having a hard time seeing the downsides here.
The problem with "scientific testing" is that there are too many variables to do a truly scientific test. Just like the beach videos, too much variability in the sand, just a few inches can be a big difference in density of sand, and therefore holding. You can perhaps just happen to hit a rock or something in the sand and kick it out. I don't think they meant it to be deceptive, but I see issues with there tests not really looking to be unbiased. You would have to sift out the sand, then pack it to a consistent bed, and it would only test one bed type. How can you get a consistent rock or weed bed to test? It seems to me most importantly that the "new style" anchors seem to work better from all accounts. I don't think there is that huge of a difference between the major players. As long as you feel the manufacturer will stand behind the product and uses quality materials then I think you will get a good product. All of the "new" anchors seem to be close enough in design I doubt you would really see a difference in real world use. It is not like in the days of truly different designs between CRQ, Bruce, Danforth. Just find one that fits your bow roller and you are likely to be happy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook