SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wow... Bernard Stamm's Open 60 "breaks in half" in the Western Approaches...
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Wow... Bernard Stamm's Open 60 "breaks in half" in the Western Approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
There are so many things that are misleading and misinformed in this thread, the internet as a whole should be ashamed.
PCP – you gave someone advice earlier in this thread to not comment about the open 60 b/c they didn’t know anything about the boat. I’m going to give you the same advice when discussing Top Fuel dragsters. Your comment that they’re all about brute strength tells just how little you know about the sport.
Yes you are right about not being interested or not knowing about dragsters but I was not trying to take way the technical achievement of taking a huge power from an engine for some seconds. Call it brutal acceleration on a straight line or whatever it is more adequate. Dragsters and Dragster races are something that has a big appeal to Americans but very little to Europeans that prefer more skillful types of races, like F1 or WRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
3- To keep the boats light, most are underbuilt on purpose. For example, a typical safety margin for a cruising boat would be in the 4-5 times the expected load. For a VOR boat, they spec out equipment that has a safety factor of 1.2 x the expected load.
I agree with your take but this can be misleading even if generically right with the exception that the load factor is far superior to 1.2.

It gives the idea that a boat like the Open 60 is more fragile than a cruising boat in what regards the loads that it can take when it is the opposite even if the load factor is smaller and that simply because the boat was designed to take loads hugely bigger.

Those boats are designed to race at over 20K in some of the worst seas of the planet (high latitudes), the loads that the boat has to take and is designed to take have no comparison with the loads for what is designed the typical cruising boat, meaning 8/10k speed on average sea conditions, not the ones you find on high latitudes.

In the end, even with a smaller safety factor regarding the loads that the boat is designed to meet, an offshore racer like a VOR 70 or a Open 60 is much stronger than the typical cruiser. It has to be.

Have a nice year

Regards

Paulo

Edit: I knew that the safety margin was much bigger that 1.2 but I did not want to give any numbers without checking: The ones from the keel are mandatory to all. They were of 4.1 and they passed this year to 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-31-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook