SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Bob:
You are absolutely correct. ( I think you made up the "19 minutes" part though and that hampers your credibility. 19 minutes? Really? Not 23 minutes? Could you please document where you got the 19 minutes from?) A steel boat will maintain it's watertight integrity when on the rocks longer than a grp or wooden boat. I don't think anyone had ever argued that. Speaking in very broad terms of course. But you might run into problems when you lump all steel boats together in one category. I could say the same for wood and grp boats. It's best not to generalize. Lots of variables come into play.

I still would never want a steel boat. DOVE II looks Ok but it still has all those crude details that scream "home builder" to me. That hard dodger is hideous. The single rail bow pulpit looks awkward and that brutal sharp edge on the cabin trunk has no degree of grace to it whatsoever. It appears to have no hatch over the salon. ISAF would not like that. I would not like that.

I think it's a good thing that we all like different kinds of boats. That has kept me in the design business for 46 years. I think it's also good that we all have our own reasons for our preferences. I'm not keen on other people telling me what kind of boat I should like, then calling me names because I have my own opinion.

Jejune

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 01-01-2014 at 04:00 PM.