SailNet Community - View Single Post - BLOCK ISLAND
Thread: BLOCK ISLAND
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2002

Jerrysails is on a distinguished road
BLOCK ISLAND

Go to Block and enjoy it. I visit Block at lease once each summer and sstay a few days or a week sometimes. Anchoring out is OK, the holding ground is less than great in some areas of the salt pond. Its deep and thick grass grows in some places making it difficult to set an anchor. Many people pick up a mooring, including me. Although its not easy to get one, as the town manages the mooring field and there are about 200 or so. You might anchor the night you arrive and then start combing the mooring field at around 7 or 8 am as you see people heading out of the pond. I have always gotten a mooring this way. You may find yourself racing with another skipper towards an available mooring. Block is one of the most beautiful Islands, rolling hills, natural flowers blooming, 100''s of ponds, beautiful ocean views, clean, bracing Atlantic water, good visability. Block is an easy sail from Long Island, Newport, Watch Hill, Marthas, etc.
Go and enjoy.
Jerry
ps. you got a lot of messages about marinas from others, I recommend moorings, its the nicest way to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook