SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
So let me understand this. You have two of the most qualified, experienced skippers on a boat with two life rafts and every possible piece of safety equipment. They fall off a wave in conditions not as severe as they experienced in the past on a boat which is the exemplar of the highest, strongest design of its type and it breaks in half.
Smack - don't you appreciate great sailors on a good boat can need rescue. How they handle it and if they survive is a reflection on the sailors not some committee. Spend money on meeting ISAF requirements although I don't race but spend more effort on bringing my skill set up to snuff. As the lubbers say "when you stop learning there better be dirt in your face or there soon will be".
Of course, I appreciate that. Bernard Stamm is definitely one of the best in the world.

But this example certainly doesn't discount my argument. They had their boat equipped to (at least - and likely beyond) ISAF-equivalent standards...EVEN THOUGH they were the best sailors in the world.

In other words, they fulfilled BOTH standards of preparedness and experience.

To draw the conclusion from your scenario that robust safety standards are not important in a rally...ESPECIALLY when most sailors are FAR, FAR below the experience level of Stamm...makes no sense.

At the end of the day, I totally agree that experience and improved skillset are the ultimate objectives for all of us who sail. But when the SDR throws that out the window with a very low bar to entry for this trip, AND ALSO throws out the safety standards...it's a very bad combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-02-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook