SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014

svShearwater is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, every boat is different, of course, there is

My friends Justin and Chris have an NKE autopilot on their J-120 SHEARWATER, and yet there are still times when they've chosen to hand steer:

Shearwater - What 30-40 knots looks like, Porto to Gibraltar - YouTube

And, as their recent passage from FL to Texas illustrated, there can be times when one has no choice - even with one of the world's finest and most expensive autopilots :-)
Jon,

I'm seriously late to party here, but to set the record straight regarding the autopilot crossing the Gulf. It turned out not to be an internal fuse, but the bushings in the motor that burned up while the pilot struggled to do the impossible. The positive of that is that bushings are easy to carry as a spare and easy to replace underway. Now we know better...

This topic has probably been beat to death, but for our boat, if I wanted a belt & suspenders approach to steering I would simply install two separate autopilots. A vane is just pointless on our boat.

Just to poke the bear... A vane would not have helped much after our autopilot blew crossing the Gulf. We motored a good chunk of the remaining 96 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook