SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
You're a hard worker, Chuck.
I think it's really good that you're doing this. Think of the damage that those pockets of water can do, with the recent plunge in temperatures.

17F degrees today, and we might see single digits on Monday. I was shocked at the amount of water these pockets hold, so it's entirely possible for them to swell and cause damage.
I think that's the likely cause of the gel coat spider web like cracking I was seeing (what started this journey off). The amount of water observed coming out after the first slice of fiberglass is roughly analogous to the severity of the cracking.

For those keeping track, I've pulled four plates, originally I was going to pull 5. I've decided based on evidence in hand that I'm not going to pull the backstay at this point.
The backstay and the two forward chain plates will instead have a weep hole engineered in (drilled, with a method to drain and inspect). I might get to them later. They present there own special problems based on location.

For example my backstay is offset to port of center, right where you climb up the stern ladder so it's in your face as you make the transition from the inverted cliff hang to flat deck. They offset it because the push pit stanchion is in the center. Poor design. When the time comes to replace it I will center it and move the gate not the whole balance of the boat.