SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014

svShearwater is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Thanks - good advice. Have the raymarine with the big arm. Wish. I got the nke. Would you suggest mix or two of the same?
Have had a monitor and a Fleming on prior boats. Actually liked the Fleming better. But agree if the boat's hull speed is >8kts vanes don't work as well as A.P.s especially down wind in seas. Amazing how in the last couple of years A.P. performance has improved.what size nke do you have?
Find in difficult situations going apparent wind rather then course sometimes makes it work less.
Our L&S drive is a type 40 for about 15k pounds and a semi-balanced rudder. The pilots top speed is about 12 knots so far. I haven't tried to push beyond that yet, because I find steering fun at those speeds.

I'm not sure there is a single answer for carrying two same or different pilots. On the one hand you could argue that carrying same makes it all very plug and play. However, if you fully install both pilots beforehand it may not make much difference. There is the argument that if one pilot has some sort of defect then switching to a completely different system/brand would be a good thing.

Mostly it is just a budget question. If your budget can swing 2 NKE autopilots, then that is a pretty strong setup. If you have a Raymarine and can swing an NKE now, then again a pretty strong setup with the added complication of two different systems. Certainly two identical Raymarine systems is the easiest and least expensive option. Not a bad option either.

For me, I will go with first adding a second L&S (NKE) drive unit, then a second NKE computer and gyro compass because I want everything to be plug & play and work on the same system (NKE instruments) easily. I think that is more a matter of preference than anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook