SailNet Community - View Single Post - seek advice on offshore cruiser
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
seek advice on offshore cruiser

Sorry, no, not that guy.

That kind of budget really opens up your possibilities. Jeff has given you a wide swath to think about. That kind of money puts you in the range of some nice high end bluewater boats like a Passport 40, to larger venerable 70''s vintage cruisers mentioned to standard coastal cruising production boats like a Catalina or Hunter that have condo like cabins. The Niagara 42 and Brewer 12.8 are certainly great boats if you can find one at that price.

The field is too wide to give you any real suggestion. I would suggest again, making a list of your real needs. How strong a build and what quality reputation do you want to go with... age (my personal search criteria was no older than 1980)...size... accomodations (this will be critically important for successful chartering)... hull and deck (cored, uncored, teak decks etc)... easily single or short handed...etc. And go from there. If you are single or short handing, check the displacement and sail area of the boat... you may find a boat like the Bene 45f5 way too much to handle... its light and carries a lot of canvas.

My personal criteria were:
A boat I could single hand
around 38ft
Solid glass hull
18,000-22,000 lbs displacement (heavy)
private aft quarter cabin
shoal draft
1982 or newer
bluewater capable
decent livaboard
finely finished below
Excellent quality builder
A boat I would be proud to own
A certain price range.

The boat I choose was a Wauquiez Hood 38

You can get an idea of the different types of boats you can have for your budget by going to a site like Yachtworld and doing a search. Look up to $150k in the hope of negotiating down from there.

Have fun

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook