SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Keep posting you have my interest. I am not sure what dollar amount is needed. This subject gets beat upon and I have not seen a clear picture just a lot of it all depends on variables. I want the one doing it to outline it so I can decide.
I am still in the learning stage. I am day sailing and a camping out. I have been reading many books. One was about your location ! One you might want to look at (Simply Sailing) This book goes after the style of low cost live aboard. Lin and Larry Pardee touch it in a book they did with three levels of cost.
The $500 seems like the magic number that comes up all the time. My opinion is it will take more. You might go for a month on less but then you will go above later. I do not think I can live on land for $500 a month unless forced to do so. It would not be fun for me to urban style "sleep under the bridge and dumpster dive for food" county style "sleep in fields and woods poaching food. Each style is a very gray legality.
Each person must look at what the comfort needs and level of skill challenge needs to be balanced to make sailing fun,safe and legal.
Good day, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 01-03-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: name change
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook