SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inconvenient Bahama sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Inconvenient Bahama sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Christian, if the boat is foreign flagged you need a cruising permit, which is NOT assured, and permission to enter every time you come in. And again if it is foreign flagged, some foreigner has to own it. For megayachts with corporate entities owning them it can pay to set up and run the corporation behind them, but for an individual just trying to keep a cheap boat?

Very different ball game.

And if you don't play the game correctly and the IRS declares your ownership to be a "sham corporation", the boat goes bye-bye along with many other assets until after you have gone to tax court.
hmmm bummer
I didnt know they had to be foreign OWNED

My boat is salvadorean flagged....does this mean I could not get even a temporary cruising permit if I wanted to go work in florida or someting and liveaboard with my family?

Im a us citizen...

man see thats why I said maybe its better to cut losses....

btw I knew plenty of megayachts foreign flagged by us owners...does this mean they all had foreign companies?

thanks

good luck on your decision op

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook