SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voyaging on $500 per month
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

I suppose one could "live" on $500.00 a month and cruise, but what kind of life would it be? On my circumnavigation in the seventies, $500.00 a month was a pretty healthy cruising budget, but today, it's awfully lean.
Living from the sea is not nearly as easy as it was back then and many island groups do not allow a visiting yacht to spear fish and in some places, fish at all. We might spend EC$20.00 on a pineapple here in Bequia, and only EEC$8.00 in Vieux Fort, St. Lucia, but who wants to hang out in Vieux Fort?
What are you going to do should you have any problems, split a sail, break a halyard or sheet, anything, which will cost money to repair or replace. Not eat for 3 weeks? Most countries will not allow you to work without the proper paperwork, and working for other yachts will probably not net you much cash, unless you are very good at something most of us don't do for ourselves, and build a very good reputation.
I'm not saying it can't be done, only asking if it's not worth it to work a bit more and cruise with a bit bigger budget. It can't be a whole lot of fun, never to be able to go to the local watering hole, when invited by friends for a 5 o'clock drink, or a meal out with them, because your budget just doesn't have a few dollars leeway.