SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who likes Moodys?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
Catalinas may be "newer" if you compare the same bucks for a Moody, but in five years, the Moody will still look the same, while the Cat will look 8 (if not 10) years older. The CC Moody 40 I saw was a good looking boat. The cockpit was far enough aft to keep it from looking like a trawler, and the overall profile was low enough to be pretty. The after deck was big enough to be useful for handling dinghies, sunbathing, or fishing, without interfering with or messing up the cockpit. The lazarette was big enough to be useful too. If I remember correctly, below, there was a tri-cabin setup with a v-berth forward, a upper & lower berths next to port in their own cabin, with a head opposite. The roomy main salon had comfortable banquettes and swivel chairs, with the galley to port of the companionway ladder. To starboard was the nav station and the passage aft to the master suite, alongside the engine compartment. In the passage aft to the Master suite there was another single berth. The Master suite had good headroom and another head, to port (opposite the passage on the stbd side.) Nice joinery and ample stowage as well. The one drawback (if it is one in your mind) was the mast being deck-stepped. Since the boat had made it transatlantic before I saw it, however, this didn't seem to be too much of an issue. Don't know how they sail, but do the PHRF ratings seem normal for a cruiser?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook