SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sea Sickness - Cure?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I would second the comment on time on the boat, usually a couple of days at sea is sufficient. Orthomartin is spot on the money.
What you eat is very important. The messman, who recommended a large glass of grapefruit juice to me, on my first trip to sea, is lucky to be alive! It will, if desired, accelerate the process of emptying your stomach. I recommend soup and saltine crackers. Chicken noodle or other low fat soup is good, even for breakfast. Avoid coffee, unfortunately. Tea doesn't seem to have a totally adverse effect as a substitute. Do not, repeat do not, drink milk or other dairy products. These become capable of auto ignition in your stomach and the stench, when they come back up, is horrendous. Try to hurl to leeward and take a bottle of Listerene along as well. You will want to wash your mouth out, don't swallow, as the odor of your vomit will make you feel much worse and will provoke symptoms in others. Not exactly desirable you can imagine. Keep a pocket full of saltines to munch on, keeps the waves moving downward. Stop at the coffee shop on the way and bribe the waitress to give you a bunch of the individually wrapped packets.