SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wiring schematic app?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Wiring schematic app?

I guess I am thinking of a diagram rather than a schematic. It would be a map that shows how the wiring is run. I find that when I work on wiring I did a couple of years back, I have to completely retrace the path to figure out where things are. Tough enough dockside, I can't even imagine doing it at sea! The example in post #3 shows the lighting circuits (for example), but doesn't indicate how the wires are run. The Schematic in #14 is pretty much what I have in my motor manual, but again doesn't show locations, or lighting for that matter. Both programs could be used to do what I'm talking about.

My boat is pretty basic, and maybe it's weird, but I've got lighting and instrument wires running from the panel in back of the galley, along port, starboard and down the center of the boat, some even crossing bulkheads, all meeting in the Head to go up the mast. The positive for the running lights runs from the panel to the stern, then forward along port to the bow, while the ground returns along starboard, except for the stern light which has it's own ground path.

I've kind of said all of this before. However, I'm curious...doesn't any one else ever feel like they would like to look at a diagram that shows the actual wiring paths to troubleshoot a problem? Maybe most boats are more straight forward than mine.

Last edited by L124C; 01-05-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook