SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just Do It--You're Not Getting Any Younger
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: Just Do It--You're Not Getting Any Younger

I saw this post and it intruigued me. First off, go when you feel like going. If you aren't ready, then wait. And when you do go my recomendation is to go slow, take your time and enjoy the journey. You will most likely only be in an area of the world once, so milk it for all it's worth.

Our experiece was; we had little money, bought a boat and just took it sailing (3 weeks in the yard). We had very little experience and we just took it one day at a time. When I hear of people spending years at the marina it makes me feel better about our boat having things done to it now, after two years of cruising, while we work back home; instead of working on the boat for 3 years and then cruising. But that is what is best for us.

When it comes to age, I laugh, we left in our mid twenties after squeezing dimes out of pennies back home and having a tough time with jobs ( recent graduates in a bad economy). We had done very well for ourselves considering the circumstances. When we left, people said we were young and weren't supposed to get good careers, so we rented our place out and went sailing. We were then 10 years younger than the "young" crowd out cruising. And everyone treated each other with mutual respect, something missing back home. When we finally went back home, we were treated as if we were even younger than before. It is a strange feeling when you are nearing on thirty, you have a home, degrees, amazing and difficult life experiences under your belt and society treats you like you are just out of highschool. Maybe wat I am saying is age doesn't account for **** these days.

I digress, I would recomend for those thinking of cruising to go when you feel ready. If you pack up everything and leave today you will probably be fine, and if you wait a few years you may or may not be better off. The hardest part is finding the right balance for you and who you are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook