SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you have on your cabin sole?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you have on your cabin sole?

I know some of the posts I'm responding to are old. I missed them the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
Of course the primary reason for the beer cans in the floor is that collectively they act like a ballast tank.
Funny. It reminds me of a common practice on submarines and on some smaller surface warships. Canned goods are organized on the deckplates and light ply covers them up. You know how far you are through a deployment based on where the step down (or up) is from the area with cans remaining to the area already eaten through. The organization and planning for the layout is huge.

There aren't many boats with sufficient headroom to take this approach but it is interesting to think about. I've certainly stacked a couple of layers of cans in the limited floor space of the v-berth on more than one boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You raise a good point, one of my primary objections to carpets/coverings on cabin soles...

Last boat I ran was a Hallberg-Rassy 43 that a carpet covering most of the sole thoughout the boat... in order to inspect the bilge, it required the entire companionway steps to be removed and set aside, a very tricky and awkward maneuver in a seaway, so that the carpet could be rolled up, and the hatch accessed.
On a 43 you should be able to see the bilge in three places: pop two snaps forward and look through the access to the transducers, lift the access to the refrigeration compressor in the galley (no carpet there) and look inboard with a flashlight, and (best) pop two snaps where two pieces of carpet come together between the forward edge of the galley and aft edge of the salon table. There is an access plate there that allows you to see the deepest part of the bilge above the keel.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook