SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a mooring..
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
1) Can you just drop a mooring? Are there usually local laws, licensing, permits etc? There are currently no other moorings in this bay that I know of.
Certainly you will have to check with local authorities. Unlikely that you will be able to do it carte blanche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
2) What ground tackle would you use? I'm thinking 3 mushroom anchors, bottom part chain rode, double line up from that (ease of replacement mostly). But I have no idea. Source of info?
As sailingdog indicates it will depend on the bottom. It can be simpler than you imagine for a small boat - an old engine block allowed to sink into the mud, for example. Mushrooms are fine but will need to be large. A screw anchor in hard ground is a good idea, although will need installation by a diver so could be expensive.

I think that John Harries and Phyllis Nickel of Morgan's Cloud are using 2 x Rocna 110s as a permanent mooring for their 55'er. You might like to contact them for some general advice / pointers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook