SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007

andy_ful is on a distinguished road
I'm a Cal 22 owner also.

I own a 1986 Cal 22 also. It's a great sailing boat, and you said you nearly bought a Sabre 28, which is a nice boat, but I think that you should know that I've raced against a Sabre 28, several times, on Wednesday Night races, and my Cal 22 sails much faster, both up and down wind than a Sabre 28. The Sabre 28 has a very short boom and has a very small mainsail, and seems to sail poorly, even though it is a well-built boat and you can get one for a pretty good price. Another nice boat is a mariner 28, which is a lot of boat for the money, and sails very well. I've owned a Catalina 27, also, which is a lot of boat for the money, but you need to buy the newest one you can afford, because they made a lot of improvements every year. I've seen Catalina 27s in the 1985-built time frame for about $12,500 dollars and they had a diesel engine and wheel steering, with a lot of room below, and they sail well.

By the way, the Cal 22 sails so well (unless you have the shallow draft model) because it has a modern hull and keel shape and a long waterline (20 feet) and an excellent sail plan, unlike older boats with shorter booms, or really old boats with short masts and long booms.

Good Luck...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook