SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a mooring..
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
If there are currently no other moorings, my guess is that it's regulated in your area. I agree with Sailing dog that steel is better than concrete. That said, steel that big is hard to come by. I've installed several concrete systems and here is one that would probably work for you.

Get a big used truck tire from a tire store. Buy some electrical conduit tube fittings so you can make a "U" shaped radius and some rebar. Pour your concrete, reinforced with some rebar and have your U shaped conduit embedded in the middle with the openings facing up. Your conduit should be large enough diameter to pass your mooring line or chain through.

Now you have a heavy weight that can be rolled out to your truck. The conduit allows you to replace your chain/line at intervals. The large diameter foot print seems to stick to the bottom pretty well and after a while it will bury itself in. I've seen several mooring systems of this design that are still being used thirty years later.

On my first mooring I embedded my chain in the concrete. After three years, the chain got a little on the skinny side and I couldn't do anything to fix it except start over again.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook