SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jammed Furler
Thread: Jammed Furler
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
TB - Although the second one is hard to make out in your picture I believe you already have 2 (for your 2 possible forsails) of what I thought was considered 'jib halyard wrap preventers'. Simply those approx 2 inch long U shaped tunnels (over sized fairleads) bolted to the top front of the mast above the upper furler bearing that the halyards pass through to keep the jib halyards from flopping around during a poor furl. I've never seen or heard of ProFurls (I assume proprietary) method of keeping things in line before. To me they look a bit micky mouse (and expensive) - but maybe they are more foolproof
As for replacing the meat hook makers... that's the first thing I did last spring. I was amazed at Nauticat's antiquated wire on my '99. Although using the existing sheaves may not be the absolute 'right' thing to do.... I'm not worried really about it. They work fine, it's been a year, I'll watch for extra wear, and when I go up there this year I'll look for halyard dust as a possible wearing problem indicator.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook