SailNet Community - View Single Post - Even pros run out of fuel
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Even pros run out of fuel

As I was sitting in the cabin reading and keeping track of the boat traffic in Peavine Pass (my other job), I noticed a power boat a mile or so away. After a while I thought something looked kinda funny so I grabbed the binoc's and took a look. A guy was in an inflatable out in front of this good sized cruiser trying to tow it in our direction. Problem was that the current was running about 4K through the pass towards him. I thought "just another dummy, probably out of fuel", and then started walking to the marina to go get him. Well, I was half right, he was out of fuel. But the part about the "dummy" isn't entirely correct. Turns out he's a licensed captain and he was on a delivery(guage didn't read right?). He didn't say so, but I suspect he didn't really want to have to call vessel assist and have this become public info. He got some fuel and went on his way, and it's just as well he didn't get to the fuel dock on his own because the current runs opposite to the pass there, he would have had his dink and the 37' cruiser approaching the dock at about 6K! So it just goes to prove that it can happen to anyone, and probably will.
John Davidson Blakely Is. WA

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook