SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina?

I like my marina, Ventura West, in Ventura Harbor. I don't actually live aboard at this time, but I can change that at any time. The marina itself is well run, secure docks, reasonable rates ($369 for my 30', metered electric), nice clubhouse, RR/showers, laundry, and a workout room. There are a few other marinas in the harbor, but VWM is the largest, with 550 some slips, with a %50 cap on liveaboards (highest I've heard of in So Cal).

Year round sailing, of course, and the closest of the Channel Islands are less than 20 nm away. The weather is SoCal, but without the big spikes in the summer - rarely over 90 then. Several local boat yards, mast-up storage, chandlers, etc, etc. Easy bicycle ride to the local supermarket, lots of good restaurans are a few minute walk around the harbor. Two hotels across next to the marina, so those pesky visiting folks don't have to squeeze into that spare quarter berth (you know, the one full of PFDs, canvas, etc).

The city (Ventura) is quite nice, and still commuting distance to the greater L.A. area. Also less than 30 miles from Santa Barbara, and only about 60 to the start of the Central Coast wine country. No car? Amtrak's Surfliner train can take you anywhere from San Luis Obispo to San Diego.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook