SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: Where's the Best Liveaboard Marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnslick View Post
The admiral and I live in Baltimore MD at Baltimore Marine Center - Light House Point (LHP). It's a very nice facility. There are actually several Baltimore Marine marinas in the Harbor depending on where you want to dock.

The LHP location is in the Canton area of town. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. West Marine, groceries, liquor store, tiki bar, restaurants, Target, Ace Hardware etc...

An annual slip agreement includes 2 haul outs and power washes, pool & gym membership, garage parking (first come first served, but only a problem on holidays), water and cable tv. Electric is metered. There's a bath house and coin-op laundry.

My 55' slip runs about 550-600 per month (includes liveaboard fee, does not include electric). Very affordable but, the tough part is annual agreements are due up front each year. The most you can break it up is 3 payments over 3 months. If you can stick to a budget and save up each year it's not so bad. Electric can get expensive depending on how you heat/cool your boat. I think it's $0.22/kw right now.

Baltimore itself is a great city. There's a great music scene, lots of things to do, and generally an affordable city to live in. Having a dinghy is great. You can get to Fells Point and the Inner Harbor in about 10-15mins in the dinghy. You can also float/dock near the outdoor concert pavilion, Pier Six, and catch shows. There's lots of place to go in the Patapsco river. It's good fun.

I've lived here for 7 years and met many great people. There's a good liveaboard community here.

The only complaints I have are:
- packing up the toys for the winter is no fun
- it's a fairly long run to get out of the Patapsco river to the Chesapeake
- the water in the harbor is gross, lots of trash run off from the city streets when it rains
- the barnacles and muscles will foul your boat quickly
The slip doesn't sound too bad but the rest of living in Baltimore is pretty expensive; MD state income tax, Baltimore County income tax, Baltimore City income tax, Ridiculous auto insurance rates in Baltimore city, Maryland state sales tax to name a few.

But, if you like crabs...